The Athena Project is a new program that will provide writers and directors from regional areas across Australia with the opportunity to participate in a career development forum in Byron Bay designed to impart strategies and information about building a successful career in the screen industries. There will also be ongoing support opportunities for participants that will build networks and create viable and strategic career pathways and plans following the forum.
Through The Athena Project, Screenworks is addressing gender imbalance and increasing the number of regional women in lead creative roles in the Australian film and television industry. This new project is a Screenworks initiative funded by Screen Australia through the Genders Matters: Brilliant Careers program.
The project aims to help female writers and directors from regional areas across Australia to:
- leverage initial success in the screen industry
- build professional networks
- create viable career pathways
The Athena Project includes two events that will be held at The Byron at Byron Resort in Byron Bay and include:
- a public Screen Industry Careers Forum on 8 November 2016
- a two-day selective residential workshop on 9 November and 10 November 2016
Residential workshop participants will be supported to develop individual career plans and will receive strategic assistance from Screenworks for up to 12 months, to implement these plans.
Guest Speakers include:
- Gillan Armstrong; Writer/Director (Women He’s Undressed, My Brilliant Career)
- Debbie Lee; Director of Scripted Development at Matchbox Pictures (The Family Law, Glitch)
- Felicity Packard; Writer (Janet King, Anzac Girls)
- Cate McQuillen; Director (dirtgirlworld)
- Monica Davidson; Creative Industries career advisor
- Victoria Baldock; Director Verve International
Date and Time: Tue 8 November 2016, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Tickets: $40 / $25 (includes finger food and beverages)
Location: The Byron at Byron Resort & Spa, 77-97 Broken Head Road, Byron Bay, NSW 2481
For further information and tickets visit screenworks.com.au/theathenaproject